We are a non-profit, volunteer organization dedicated to acquiring and preserving historical sites in and around the Village of Schoharie. Our main goal is to restore such sites and make them available to the public for educational and cultural enrichment.
One of our first projects was the restoration of the oldest existing buildings in Schoharie, the 1743 Palatine House. Also known as the Old Lutheran Parsonage, the Palatine House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was one of the few frame buildings spared when Brandt raided Schoharie during the Revolutionary War and burned the village to the ground. The Association has also acquired and restored abandoned buildings on Depot Lane in Schoharie. The buildings had not been in use since the demise of the Middleburgh and Schoharie Railroads. For several years now SCHA volunteers, with the aid of New York State Department of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation and O'Connor Foundation Grants, have worked to develop the Station House, Freight Shed, Engine House, Weigh Station and the Old Mill Building into a historical complex - The Schoharie Valley Railroads Museum.